Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

After reading through these pages, please email I-House at or call (858) 822-1791 if you have any additional questions about visiting scholar housing or the application process.

How do I apply?

Please check the availability of the apartments here before you submit an application.

If there is space, submit the online application found here.

Are the apartments shared?

We have 1 bedroom private apartments, as well as 2-4 bedroom shared apartments. In the shared apartments, all bedrooms are private and the common areas (kitchen, bathrooms, living and dining areas) are shared.

What are the rates for a unit?

Shared apartments range from $900-$1,150 per room/month, and private apartments range from $1,500/month.

See details for all apartments and rental rates on I-House's apartments page.

What is your availability?

Applications are accepted at all times. For information regarding room availability, visit the apartments page. or contact us during our office hours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.:

For how long can I live in the apartment?

Except for special circumstances, units are rented for no less than for 6 months and no more than 24 months.

Residents can stay as long as they are official visiting guests of UC San Diego, and must provide proper documentation from their lab or department for an extension.

What is the application process?

Applying to live in I-House is quick, simple and easy. We require:

Is parking provided?

The Pangea Parking Structure is very close to the visiting scholar apartments, but there is a fee to park in the garage. It is the responsibility of the visiting scholar to arrange for the permit required to park in the garage, which can be purchased through UC San Diego Transportation Services.

How much is the security deposit?

The security deposit is the full monthly rental rate (as specified in the rental agreement) as well a non-refundable cleaning deposit of $250.

Note: This deposit does not include your first month's rent, which you will also be responsible to provide upon your arrival.

Who is eligible to apply?

Any visiting faculty member, post-doc, or doctoral student invited by UC San Diego is eligible to apply and live in I-House.

International visiting scholars may stay in the apartments only as long as they are officially affiliated with and invited by UC San Diego. Proof of invitation and affiliation is required as part of the application.

Are pets allowed?

Pets are not allowed in the apartments.

Is smoking allowed?

UC San Diego is a “non-smoking” campus, which means that smoking is not allowed anywhere on campus, including inside the residences.